Author Topic: Bass Pro Deal: 5baits/5$ shipped  (Read 332 times)

wet tap

• View Profile
Re: where to get frozen ballyhoo? \"Minchman\"
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 08:03:48 AM »
Quote, originally posted by Minchman »

I\'ve got great baits from both suppliers. Baitmasters has a wider selection for trolling baits in general. They also have better Horse, rigged and unrigged, IMO. There\'s just something about having a cooler full of bait delivered to your front door. That\'s hard to beat. All in all, I get my Horse Bally\'s from Baitmasters and my regular Bionic ballyhoo/select from Bitters.

Modified by Minchman at 7:56 AM 11/3/2007

thats true !! baitmasters does have better horse ballyhoo and rigged ballyhoo !!

fins

• View Profile
Re: where to get frozen ballyhoo? \"wet tap\"
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 09:33:30 AM »
Another thing you guys can do if you don\'t want to stockpile baits up is to brine them.

Night before, take a small cooler fill with ice a bit, put single layer of ballyhoo on ice, sprinkle with salt and baking soda and make sure the water drains from the cooler. I\'ve tried wet and dry brining and think the dry works alot better.

Clark

• View Profile
Re: where to get frozen ballyhoo? \"fins\"
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 03:07:04 PM »
You can get good and bad baits from any store. If you follow what fins said you should be in good shape. However, there are some brands that are consistently better. My personal favs are the Just Rites and Expomars. Those were consistently the best when I used to work in the shops. The Plantations and Baitmasters are decent. Bionic was hit or miss. Worst are the killer bees hands down. Rare to get a good pack of those. Can\'t figure out why everyone likes the Bionics so much. I can only assume people don\'t know what good ballhoo are. When I used to brine them people would always pass the expomars and get the bionics. Maybe a ballyhoo with pefect color scares people

Modified by Clark at 6:12 PM 11/3/2007

Capt. Bob J.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 12:30:06 PM »
Quote, originally posted by fins »
You can get good frozen baits from wal-mart, I kid you not.

Yep...    

http://FlatsTime.com

\"The river has taught me to listen; you will learn from it, too. The river knows everything; one can learn everything from it.\" Herman Hesse

JB2C

• View Profile
Re: where to get frozen ballyhoo? \"Capt. Bob J.\"
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 05:33:27 PM »
Old post, but was wondering if anything much has changed over the last year with any of these companies.  

Where\'s the best place currently to buy horse?  And does anyone sell a quality \'hoo that\'s larger than horse?  Also, which ones will ship to NC?

JB

wet tap

• View Profile
Re: where to get frozen ballyhoo? \"JB2C\"
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 11:40:44 AM »
if you want it shipped to NC and larger ballyhoo go to http://www.baitmasters.com ..they have what youre looking for and will ship to youre door overnight.

fishinjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 12:07:19 PM »
Quote, originally posted by fins »
Night before, take a small cooler fill with ice a bit, put single layer of ballyhoo on ice, sprinkle with salt and baking soda and make sure the water drains from the cooler. I\'ve tried wet and dry brining and think the dry works alot better.

The baking soda makes the baits ridiculously tough and can you can troll them longer.  We used \"kosher salt\", no we\'re not jewish, but the baking soda and salt really made the ballyhoo tough.

Thoward

• View Profile
Re: where to get frozen ballyhoo? \"fishinjacket\"
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »
Last time I was in Fishermans World they only had Bionic Ballyhoo.  I like the Bionic and have never had a problem, same goes for the few packs of Baitmasters I have used.  I do not have good luck with Killer Bee baits much less the ballyhoo.

JB2C

• View Profile
Re: where to get frozen ballyhoo? \"Capt. Bob J.\"
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 07:57:46 PM »
Old post, but was wondering if anything much has changed over the last year with any of these companies.  

Where\'s the best place currently to buy horse?  And does anyone sell a quality \'hoo that\'s larger than horse?  Also, which ones will ship to NC?

JB