Author Topic: 4-28 Firday at JP and North Skyway  (Read 1082 times)

jangel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Google Earth waypoints to Garmin GPS automatically
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:46:36 AM »
Well, semi-automatically.  At least one doesn\'t have to type in the coordinates. I have been playing around with Garmin Mapsource, Google Earth, and a handy website I came across.I was manually entering spots from Google Earth into Mapsource.  It is now possible to stuff Google Earth or Google Maps waypoints into your Garmin without typing in the coordinates.  I still do it manually if it\'s just a couple but if you have a bunch of waypoints, here is the procedure.1-Go to the Garmin website and download and install \"Garmin Communicator Plugin\" from here:http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator2-Open Google Earth, find, mark, and name your spots using the yellow \"push-pin\" icon in Google Earth.  I only did one here but it will work for as many as you want.Edit: you can add notes in the \"Description\" field and they will show up in the comments field of the waypoint in Mapsource.3-When you have your points marked, highlight that folder and \"SAVE AS\"  a .kml file.4-Find your .kml file on your hard drive and open it in Wordpad.  Notepad did not work for me but it may be because I had \"word wrap\" turned on.  MS Word might work but I did not try it.5-Go to this websitehttp://www.takitwithme.com/ge2gps.html6-Copy the .kml file text from Wordpad and paste it into the box on the website above.  7-Click \"Convert KML to GPX button.A new button appears, \"Send to Garmin\".8-Plug your Garmin in by USB cable and turn it on.9-When your Garmin has booted up, click the \"Send to Garmin\" button.Within a few seconds you should see the message \"KML Uploaded Successfully\".  My Garmin pops up a \"Transferring Data\" during the process.Presto!  The waypoints are in your Garmin with no coordinate typing.  I forgot that my old 276C only allows a 10 character waypoint name thus the missing \"k\" on the end of the waypoint name.I have only tried this on a GPSMap276C and a Nuvi 760.Hope this helps.\"All technical questions should be referred to Garmin or the Takitwithme website \"

JohnnyB

• View Profile
Re: Google Earth waypoints to Garmin GPS automatically \"JohnnyB\"
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:22:22 PM »
Oh yeah.You can also click the \"Download GPX\" button and save the waypoints to a .gpx file which Mapsource will open and load it to the GPS from Mapsource.

JohnnyB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:22:50 PM »
For other brands, downloading the .gpx file may work if your gps software supports it.

from EasyGPS website: http://www.easygps.com/gps_receivers/

GPS Receivers Supported in EasyGPS

GPS receivers from the following manufacturers are supported in EasyGPS. Click the manufacturer\'s name for exact details for your specific GPS model.

* Garmin \"All handheld and dashboard GPS, including Colorado, nvi, eTrex, Forerunner, Geko, zumo\"    * Magellan \"eXplorist, Meridian, SporTrak all supported\"    * Lowrance \"all models supported, including iFinder, GlobalMap, iWAY, and XOG\"    * Eagle \"all models supported\"    * MLR    * Brunton    * Silva

CobraCobra will not release information on their data interface.

DelormeAfter extensive testing with a Delorme PN-20, we\'ve decided not to implement support for this GPS at this time. It uses a real-time USB interface that would require significant changes to our software. If they release further products based on this interface, or if their market share increases significantly, we\'ll revisit this decision. The good news is that Delorme\'s software finally supports GPX, so you can exchange GPX files between their software and any TopoGrafix product.

HumminbirdHumminbird will not release information on their data interface. At least one of their products comes with a PC data manager that claims to support GPX. Our testing showed that it crashed when opening properly-formatted GPX files, however.

TomtomWe will be adding support for Tomtom POI formats soon.Other Automotive GPS \"Mio, Navigon, Navman, etc\"

If you can provide us with a specification of the POI formats used by your GPS receiver, we will consider adding support in a future release.

GPS-enabled Smartphones and PDAs \"Nokia, HTC, Motorola i580, LG 735, BlackBerry, etc\"We don\'t write software that will run on your phone. However, since all TopoGrafix products use GPX, an open file format, any Windows Mobile or Palm application that runs on your smart-phone will be able to store data in a format that can be used in our software. Ask for GPX compatibility when choosing software for your phone.

There are other programs out there that support .gpx files.  I don\'t have the time to research them all.  Google is your friend

JohnnyB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 02:23:19 PM »
cross-posted from Gen Fishing by request.