Author Topic: Saturday Inshore Report 5/10/03.  (Read 1695 times)

jangel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Chicken?
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:24:42 AM »
We usually cook chicken one of 3 ways smoked, baked, shake and bake, and rarely fry. Anyone have any good recipes for something a lil different? I\'m not looking to reinvent the wheel, just would like to try something else. We usually use quarters or a whole bird.

Abelman

• View Profile
Re: Chicken? \"S.S.Tupperware\"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:30:21 AM »
I FA DAT had a great recipe. I tried it on the grill and it\'s very good:

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/thread?id=726355

<\'\"\"\"><

\"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don\'t have that problem\" Ronald Reagan 1985

I FA DAT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:38:53 AM »
Here\'s two that I posted last year.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/thread?id=726355

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/thread?id=733092

\"edit: beat me to it Abelman.\"
Modified by I FA DAT at 11:39 AM 1/28/2009

hossmoss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:43:39 AM »
Here\'s one of my faves

Uses chicken breast. I buy the tyson in the 10 lb bag at sams. skinless/boneless IQF \"NOT TENDERS\". Easy, quick thaw and cheap. You can bone out your own if you prefer and make your own stock with the bones.

4 big half breasts, cut in half and pounded to 1/4-1/2 inch thickSalt and a little pepper on each sideThin sliced smoked ham on each chicken piece, almost enough to coverThin sliced emmenthaler or jarlsberg on each chicken piece, folded over in half and placed in the center \"you could also use a nice provolone or gruyere\"

For each piece, roll both sides to the middle and toothpick closed if necessary.Dust in plain flour, roll in a thin egg/milk wash and roll completely in plain bread crumbs seasoned with a little salt and very little rubbed thyme. \"Finely crushed Ritz crackers is good in a pinch, or Italian style if you want those flavors\"

Place seam side down on a buttered baking sheet.Place a 1 Tbs pat of butter on the top of each piece. \"cheat: or spray well with butter pam\"

put in oven to bake for about 20-25 minutes at 350 till golden and crusty.

If you want to go whole hog, while the chicken is baking, you make a pan sauce, a very simple reduction of low salt chicken stock, about a cup with a cup of milk \"cream is better\", remove from heat, stir in some of the grated cheese till melted and thickened, salt to taste. \"You could toss a lemon slice or two in the pan for a few minutes during the reduction, if you like that flavor profile, but not for too long\"

Plate with a Tbs or 2 of sauce, then the chicken, then sauce drizzled over at the last second, don\'t let the chicken crust get soggy.

Very easy and YUMMY Chicken Cordon Bleu

Superfluke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:27:23 PM »
4 boneless chicken breast1 bottle of catalina dressing1 jar of apricot preserves1 package of onion soup mix

mix together bake at 350 for 1 hour serve over white rice  

fishmonger

• View Profile
Re: Chicken?
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »
i\'ve been on a tuscan style chicken kick lately. about 3-5 times/month, make 3 at a time.

basic idea is to cook fast on a really hot grill. i\'m down to under 30 minutes total cooking time for a whole 3.5 lb bird, wth a gas grill that gets to 600 degrees closed.

--butterfly a kosher \"already salted\" chicken, 3.5-4.0 lbs. non-kosher will work, tho not quite as well. do NOT brine chicken for this, as you need to get heavy infusion of the marinade. i always rinse birds i don\'t brine under cold running water for a minute, then pat them dry w/ dish towels --marinade for 1-2 hours in ziplock bag, or non-reactive container, in the following mixture:

--zest frrom one medium lemon--juice from two medium lemons--6 cloves of crushed garlic--2 tablespoons minced rosemary--1 tablespoon of salt--1/2 tablespoon cracked pepper--1/4 cup of extra vrgin olive oil

get grill HOT as it will go. after chicken at room temp, put skin/breast side UP directly over hot coals or middle \"hottest part\" of gas grill.

if flaring up, move bird carefully a little to side. i keep the top up about hald the time, depending on flare ups.

ONLY turn ONCE, toward the end, skin side down to finish for couple minutes.

i take off the grill when the INSIDE of the thigh reads 160. it will hit 165 at rest in a hurry. NOTE: once bird hits 140, temps seem to go up really fast on the grill, for reasons that escape me.  

sprinkle a little olive oil and lemon juice over the top, let rest uncovered for 10 minutes before carving.

the bone side will be charred nicely.

good luck

1936-2010