Author Topic: Chloriform heading for the Keys  (Read 3235 times)

Pagan

• View Profile
Re: Unalienable rights? \"gradylady\"
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 06:54:51 AM »
Quote, originally posted by gradylady »

Actually, I think he makes an excellent spokesman because Jefferson\'s words were part of a political experiment, as opposed to a religious one. To attribute the \'endowment of certain unalienable rights\' to the Creator, the ultimate and universal authority so to speak...was to relegate government to the position of caretaker and protector of those rights...without the authority to selectively grant or remove them.Those were the words anyway...and like Japrock, I believe we are far closer to honoring those words than at any time in our history.

Now, for those who were not created, but evolved \"?\" from pond scum instead...I guess you\'re just s.o.l. in the \'unalienable rights\' department.

I also think that Jefferson was exercising a rhetorical device for political purposes, however, we have a very large part of the population here who attribute to their God man\'s morality. If they truely believe that do they also believe that Jefferson was putting to pen an unassailable truth? Did your God grant humans unalienable rights and do those rights extend to all humans or was Jefferson blowing smoke up the Kings bung hole?

Supposedly, the concept of inalienable/unalienable or natural rights originated in Islamic jurisprudence and was brought to the attention of Western liberal thinkers like Jefferson through the writtings of John Locke. It has been embraced by Americans ever since Jefferson put it to paper but have Americans actually understood it\'s implications, especially those who believe in a creator?

Are these just pretty words with no practical application, or are there actual rights granted by God that government has been charged with protecting?

Mango Man

• View Profile
Re: Unalienable rights? \"Pagan\"
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 07:13:42 AM »
Quote, originally posted by Pagan »
or are there actual rights granted by God that government has been charged with protecting?

There should be no commercial fishing allowed for any species that is considered over fished.

walwhite

• View Profile
Re: Unalienable rights? \"Pagan\"
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »
Quote, originally posted by Pagan »
So here\'s a question for us to ponder.

Do we each have unalienable or natural rights and where do these rights originate?

Jefferson thought they originated with a creator, as in, \"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights\".

Regardless of origin, do these same rights apply to all men, or just Americans,or do they only belong to those who believe in a \"Christian God\"?

I think they belong to all those who believe they should have them.   Whether they attain them is problematic. A particular religious persuasion should not apply. The belief in and willingness to defend the rights should be the only litmus test. Many Americans  have died to uphold those core beliefs and to ensure that others, all over the world, could enjoy them also. Even considering all the dissention in this country I am thankfull and proud to be an  American.

If not US who?? If not now When??