Author Topic: Is this legal? Tampa Bay near Weedon Island  (Read 1730 times)

RedfishBrian

• View Profile
Re: Is this legal? Tampa Bay near Weedon Island \"pf22tower\"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
I dont know, but I see em doing it all the time. You know they are keeping snook as well. Its amazing how many times I have seen bozos like this \"striking\" on the snook holes.
Capt. Brian Epperson

http://captainepperson.com/

exudedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »
Jacks are not game fish so prabably not..what I\'m not sure of is the location if it\'s legal to do it there...I wonder what we did not see get pulled out of that net

But what is upsetting is that I might be eating jack at the sushi bar

pf22tower

• View Profile
Re: Is this legal? Tampa Bay near Weedon Island \"exudedude\"
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:47:18 PM »
When I use to live in Tampa and fish around that area, I always used to get buzzed in the No motor Zone and Minimum Wake Zone by this exact boat. Thankfully I moved out but I see the bad stuff is still being continued. I agree with Redfishbrian on seeing these nets being dragged along snook holes and oyster beds for reds around Weedon. It\'s a shame

On an edit side note- Watching the video and hearing the background voice of this fish being served at local sushi bars has me disgusted.

Reeltherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:50:51 PM »
Nets 100% legal, maybe running in a no motor zone appears to be the only question.

Bodysnatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
Quote, originally posted by pf22tower »
On an edit side note- Watching the video and hearing the background voice of this fish being served at local sushi bars has me disgusted.

With only one life to live, we should live it to the fullest.

aquaholik

• View Profile
Re: Is this legal? Tampa Bay near Weedon Island \"Reeltherapy\"
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 02:28:06 PM »
So what kind of net was in the video. A seine net with mesh size less than 2 inches and the total square feet is less than 500 sq ft?

From the commercial regulations:

Quote »

The use of gill and entangling nets is prohibitedin all state waters \"nine nautical miles fromthe Gulf coast and three nautical miles fromthe Atlantic coast\". Any net \"other than ahand thrown cast net\" with a stretched meshsize larger than two inches is considered anentangling net. Any net \"other than a handthrown cast net or handheld landing or dip net\"constructed wholly or partially of monofilamentor multistrand monofilament material is alsoconsidered an entangling net.

But this is okay:

Quote »

The use of any net with a mesh area exceeding500 square feet is prohibited in nearshore andinshore waters...........In all waters of the state, the possession ofgill or entangling nets or seines with a mesharea larger than 500 square feet is prohibitedon any airboat, on any vessel with a forwardmountedprimary power source that is lessthan 25 feet in length, and on any vessel lessthan 22 feet in length.