Author Topic: King fish rigs  (Read 1518 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
King fish rigs
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:15:24 PM »
Back in the day................. the popular rig was a j-hook tandem rig. Had lots of knockdowns that missed and would have to let line out, flip in gear, and jig so fish would hit again.Now................ fish a stinger rig with a single J hook and treble stinger trailing. Some imbed the trailing treble in the bait, some let it swing free {I do}. Lots of foul hooked fish. The bigger ones will pull off the foul hook unless great care is exercised.I think most people like single strand, which can give trouble if it gets kinked. Haywire twist is sometimes a little hard to do properly in rough seas. Kings are slashers. A bite {or slash} can easily kink standard single strand and then goodbye fish. Has happened to me a lot.So........................... I been thunkin. I want to go a different route. Need to ask some questions to maybe find someone that has tried some of this stuff.Titanium single strand................... Supple enough to tie in standard knot{Albright, Palomar knot}. Gives slightly on the strike and then recovers, {less shock}. Won\'t kink nearly as easy. Anybody use this stuff? Have any bite thru\'s? Really doesn\'t kink? Can you find it at most bait stores? Anything else I should know about this stuff?Hooks....................... Got a wild hair. Thinking of using two J hooks in tandem like I usta, but with a kicker, or I should say stinger. Only I am going to find the right size treble that I can snap the eye over the barb of the last J hook. It will dangle down, but will stay much closer to the bait\'s body. Prolly see if I can find a red treble. The two front J hooks will be imbeded in the body of the cigar minnow or other trolled bait. Maybe someone alredy uses this? I\'m for sure gonna try it or something very close on my next trip.Anybody got any other ideas?

The Fixer

• View Profile
Re: King fish rigs \"rongarrett\"
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:19:58 AM »
If I\'m in a boat, I pre-tie a couple dozen rigs so I don\'t have to tie them out on the boat. The titanium wire is nice, but super expensive. I just use #31 Sevenstrand wire with a small but strong live bait hook for the nose and anywhere from a #1 to a #6 hook depending on the size of the baits I\'m using. If it\'s a really big hardtail, sometimes I\'ll add another treble to the mix.

I\'ve had quite a few fish get snagged in the mouth with the livebait hook instead of the treble.

\"Next time out to sea Bring enough soil to bury me For in my dreams she comes to me, whispering of peace....\"

PeaRiver

• View Profile
Re: King fish rigs \"rongarrett\"
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »
Much rather rig these up at home than on the boat, but never have been opposed to stocking up on C&H or Sea Striker stinger rigs in the off season a discounted prices.  A wire straightner is a good investment and improves the life of these rigs.