Author Topic: Help identify this shark  (Read 1938 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Help identify this shark
« on: November 05, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »
My friends and I caught/released this shark late last night in Sanibel.  I can\'t decide whether it is a bull shark or gray nurse shark.  Can somebody who knows from their own personal knowledge help?  I\'ve checked sites online and still have a hard time definitively deciding, although I\'m leaning towards the gray nurse shark.Photos:http://www.facebook.com/photo....03174http://www.facebook.com/photo....03174http://www.facebook.com/photo....03174Secondly, unfortunately the leader had to be cut at the line, but the hook does rust and fall out right?  I was told it does and trust the source, but just wanted to make sure.  Thanks for your help everyone.  

hsiF deR

• View Profile
Re: Help identify this shark \"J_WaRd_29\"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »
I am not an expert, or even that savvy when it comes to sharks but I think that that\'s a lemon.  Reason I say that is cause the dorsals are similar in size but I am honestly just guessing.

Hooks should rust out just fine!Oh yeah, nice catch and congrats on the release.  
Modified by hsiF deR at 1:51 PM 9/15/2009

tnjed

• View Profile
Re: Help identify this shark \"hsiF deR\"
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »
lemon shark.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:53:59 PM »
You\'re definitely right about the dorsal fin sizes, so unless somebody else has seen a bull with 2 dorsal fins relatively the same size or is an expert and can say otherwise, then the bull shark can be eliminated.  Now lemon shark vs gray nurse shark?

Thanks for the hook info and congrats on our catch.  It was 6\' long and definitely a rush, and we were glad to watch it swim away.

hsiF deR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 02:01:16 PM »
I think all nurse sharks have those barbel things on the under side of there face with dorsals that are closer together and a longer tail fin.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 02:12:22 PM »
The only thing holding me back from concluding that mine was a lemon shark is the color.  Mine is brown and doesn\'t seem to have a yellowish tint or coloring to it, and I thought that was a staple of all lemon sharks?

DiesTrying12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »
The staple of the lemon shark is the two \"virtually\" same size dorsal fins, lemon sharks are also the only shark eyelids, and if the picture that is posted is the shark, it is definitely a lemon shark
If God wanted us to work, He wouldn\'t have invented fish.

TEAM BLACK BARTSponsored by Black Bart and GameFace Harnesses

G.F.T.O.S.

lemaymiami

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 04:01:59 PM »
Lemons come in quite a variety of colors, from the classic yellowish brown all the way to medium gray depending on what the bottom color and water colors are where you find them.  That second dorsal fin is the giveaway.  They\'re fast and aggressive wherever you find them.  The bull only has one dorsal and the most noticeable feature is that their head seems bigger than the rest of fish.... particularly when you\'re the one handling them at boatside.  Most of the lemons I handle are pretty much tired out by the time they\'re at boatside.  The bull still has plenty of arguing left...
Tight LinesCapt Bob LeMay

Re: Help identify this shark \"lemaymiami\"
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 04:41:31 PM »
All of you have been a huge help, especially when only working with the three photo links I posted to start with.  Once the bull shark was eliminated, it was between the grey nurse shark and lemon shark since they both have the nearly identical dorsal fins and razor teeth that stick out, as well as similar body builds.  If anyone wants to continue with further evidence that it\'s a lemon or even something else, then I\'ll be happy to keep reading posts.  I\'m good with it being a Lemon shark though

Last week we hooked into something that ran and continued to run strong.  When it FINALLY slowed down we struggled to even turn it around towards us before it took off again.  It snapped my 130 lbs braided line after 30 minutes so I\'m guessing that was probably a big bull or hammer.