Author Topic: Key West Flats - Sept 15  (Read 1424 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Key West Flats - Sept 15
« on: November 03, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »
It\'s been a great week of flats fishing in the lower keys.  Bonefishing has been on fire and will continue to be for at least the next few weeks barring any strong cold fronts.  My buddy Pete and I went out Thursday to do some pre-fishing for the Key West SLAM Tournament.  We went 4 for 6 bonefish on fly and I hooked one fish that was approaching double digits.  The Key West SLAM tournament was held this past weekend and there was a lot of fish caught over the two days.  I did not fish the tournament this year as there were far fewer anglers than in the past.  Only 23 boats were involved this year.  The winning boat landed 4 slams over the two days with 2nd place landing 3 slams third place landing 2 slams and one or two others landing 1 slam.  The weather was for the most part good which made for excellent opportunities for the tournament anglers.  Hopefully I will get to fish it next year.  The SLAM Tournament is part of the Redbone series of tournaments that are charity events held to raise money for research to help find the cure for Cystic Fibrosis.  The highlight of my weekend was Sunday afternoon fishing with my good friend Capt. Mike O\'Brien when he landed his 9th permit on fly. Fishing in the morning was slow but picked in the afternoon when we got our shots and really turned on when the tide started to roll in later that afternoon.  I had a big 20+ pound permit follow my fly, but never came tight.We have a new moon on Friday and good tides for the next week.  We are also experiencing a lunar perigee, where the moon is closest to the Earth.  This event has caused the tides to be much higher than stated in the tide charts.  The water is over the docks in Garrison Bight Marina where I keep my boat and is coming up the storm drains in the neighborhoods behind N. Roosevelt Blvd.  Capt Mike   Photo courtesy of Capt Mike O\'Brien Photo courtesy of Capt Mike O\'Brien

coores14

• View Profile
Re: Key West Flats - Sept 15 \"mikekw\"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »
very nice Mike!  i\'m free for the most part this weekend.  let me know how your schedule looks, if interested.  
\"such is life...\"